Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Little Sugar please

A couple of things have come up this week. First and most frustrating is that people that follow this blog are not being updated about new posts. If this is incorrect please let me know. I don't know how to fix it right now. I love those two words...right now. It lets me know that situations are temporary which is a nice reminder when things suck.
What has been coming up for me recently is letting people know how I feel. You know how there are people you meet throughout your life and you just know that whatever you are learning from them or taking away from that relationship is going to be heavy and long lasting in your life. I feel like that so often and the only person I usually tell is Casey. So here is an unscripted monumental moment in my life-

Moving away from Dallas was hard, scary, and exciting at the same time. When I moved to Phoenix, I met Eric and his beard. I don't usually have male friends but we clicked right away. I'm unsure if I realized in the moment that Eric would be a teacher of mine. He is very different from me.....I hate to stereotype but for efficiency reasons, he is very hippie-like, mindful, generous, and kind of granola. And he's also a therapist. Let me tell you about the kind of man Eric is.....

Gunnar had hurt himself one day and this dogs weighs 115 lbs so there was no way I could get him in my car by myself and it pained me to hear him yelp. I was freaking out a little, maybe a lot, and I called Eric crying for help. Eric rescheduled his clients to help me with my dog. He also kept me calm and stopped my brain from spinning out of control. For someone who does not have to ask for help often, Eric's gesture was as grand as him paying off my school loans. Again, in the moment I knew Eric was doing me a solid but I did not know how much I would come to admire him. And today Eric is married to a beautiful woman and has a daughter that looks like the new Gerber baby, super cute. Thanks Eric for being such an upstanding human being. You really inspire me to do more, be more, and get involved.

I think we all have people like this in our lives. When it seems that this isn't happening for me, I ask the Universe for it (that is the God of my understanding~ I love this way to describe God). I believe that I am wise beyond my years because I have almost always had someone in my life that is helping me grow. Sometimes this looks like someone modeling a new behavior for me, teaching me new behaviors/thought processes and sometimes this is when I am confronted by someone saying, "cut the shit". Usually the ladder is done by Casey which I really appreciate too. We all need someone in our lives that will hold up a mirror and help us really see ourselves, and hopefully we can be open to it.

I want to encourage everyone to let people in your life know that they are making an impact. We all learn and grow by being connected to each other. If you are feeling disconnected, put down the electronics and have a talk, not a text, a talk. Let that person/people know what they mean to you because all we have is right now :)

"Let your love be like misty rains, coming softly, but flooding the river."- Malagasy Proverb

2 comments:

  1. Super nice words, Leah! Rock on. And yeah, I don't mind the Granola stereotype. There are worse categories to be lumped in.
    I appreciate the sentiment of letting people know that they are appreciated and how they affect you. One thing I'll say about you is that you certainly opened my mind to the fact that there are many ways to skin a cat.. particularly in working with people, therapeutically o' course.. I saw stuff out of your mouth prove extremely effective- in ways that I would have never quite imagined. Added some of those direct and bold moves to my bag o tricks. Good stuff. Texas style.
    Solid, girl, solid. Blog on.
    e

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah...I love that you started your blog. I have you saved on my favorites and I check in on your blog every other day. I love what you wrote!! Now that I'm a stay at home mom I feel a bit diconnected. I'm not, and reading your thoughts and suggestions have reminded me of that. It's tough to get away from the babies, but I finally started my gym membership. I'm going to take you up on your advice and really be more proactive with meeting people. LOVE YA HOOKER!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete